Diversity & Inclusion
In August 2020, the ICF released the following Statement of Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging and Justice. This statement of principles is the cornerstone of our Chapter’s work in this space, and it reflects a position we invite every ICF Member, Credential-holder and accredited training provider to subscribe to:
ICF Members and Credential-holders live and work in more than 140 countries and territories. ICF is a vibrant global community committed to the shared vision of making coaching an integral part of a thriving society. Our mission is to lead the global advancement of coaching. To do this, we must reflect on our blind spots and be aware of opportunities for improvement. We cannot ignore the challenges that many coaches and coaching clients face due to systemic problems in their communities.
As members of the ICF community, we ascribe to the core values of integrity, excellence, collaboration and respect. The foundation of these values is a shared commitment to diversity, inclusion, belonging and justice.
We will place diversity, inclusion, belonging and justice at the forefront of every decision we make within our Association. As we continue the journey toward our vision, we will recommit ourselves to valuing the unique talents, insights and experiences that every coach and client brings to the world.
You can find the full statement here
As a Chapter, we ascribe to the statement above, and are working actively to put it in action. One such action is this page of resources to support coaches in the space of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Social Justice. It is to be a place of support with the purpose of enabling you to lean into those difficult conversations. These are a few recommendations we have collected from our active chapter members. You can browse a selection of books, websites, videos and articles.
- Reinventing Diversity (Howard Ross)
- Everyday Bias (Howard Ross)
- Our Search for Belonging (Howard Ross)
- Diverse Teams at Work (Rowe and Gardenswartz)
- How to Be An Inclusive Leader (Jennifer Brown)
- Inclusive Conversations: Fostering Equity, Empathy, and Belonging Across Differences (Mary-Frances Winters)
- Erasing Institutional Bias: How to Create Systemic Change for Organizational Inclusion(Jana and Mejias)
- Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind(Hofstede, Hofstede and Minkov)
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- Inclusion Breakthrough (Miller and Katz)
- How to be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Diversity in Coaching Edited by Jonathan Passmore